This soup can be enjoyed on cool Caribbean days, cold winter evenings and is a nutritious comfort after a long day.
- 2 lbs beef
- 2 cups butternut squash or pumpkin
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup creamed corn
- ½ cup yellow split peas
- 1 carrot, diced and steamed
- ½ cup cooked pearl barley
- 3 tbsp green seasoning*
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- Season the meat with salt and two tablespoons of green seasoning.
- In a thick-bottomed pot, heat oil and sugar until it begins to bubble and darken, being careful not to burn the sugar. Sauté the meat in the hot sugar and oil. Brown meat until it is thoroughly coated in the sugar mixture.
- Add enough water to cover the meat and bring to a boil until the meat becomes soft.**
- In a large soup pot, add two cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add pumpkin, split peas, turmeric powder, salt to taste and a tablespoon of green seasoning.
- Simmer on low heat until peas are completely soft. Use a stick blender to bring to a thick soupy consistency.
- Add meat mixture, whole corn, creamed corn, steamed carrot and cooked pearl barley to the pumpkin and split pea soup mixture. Heat thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Water may be added to thin out the soup according to preference.***
*Using a food processor, finely chop two onions, one head of garlic, one bunch of cilantro and one habanero or jalapeño pepper (optional). Store unused seasoning in refrigerator to use on meat for stews and curries.
**This can also be done in a slow cooker after the meat is coated in the sugar mixture.
***This soup can be kept in refrigerator for a few days and in a freezer for two months. Reheating may require adding a little water.
This is a great soup, should be tried by all.
—Alison Fraser (Trinidad and Tobago)
Tried it? Send us a quick comment: Click here!